Around 30 percent of the diamonds mined worldwide are gem-quality.
What percentage of diamonds are used in jewelry?
Diamonds are best known as gemstones, even though only about 20% of the world’s production by weight is used for jewellery. The other 80%, known as bort, is used in industrial and research applications where the unique properties of diamonds are required.
Are diamonds actually worthless?
Diamonds are intrinsically worthless: Former De Beers chairman (and billionaire) Nicky Oppenheimer once succinctly explained, “diamonds are intrinsically worthless.” Diamonds aren’t forever: They actually decay, faster than most rocks.
How can you tell if a diamond is good quality?
Diamond professionals use the grading system developed by GIA in the 1950s, which established the use of four important factors to describe and classify diamonds: Clarity, Color, Cut, and Carat Weight. Diamonds can be fashioned into a variety of shapes and still be beautiful. These are known as the 4Cs.
What are 3 interesting facts about diamond?
5 Fun Facts About Diamonds
- The diamond is more than a billion years old. …
- Diamonds are the hardest natural substance on earth. …
- Diamonds are made of only one element: carbon. …
- Diamonds come in every color. …
- Scientists have discovered a planet that they believe is composed mostly of carbon, and is one-third pure diamond.
Are Canadian diamonds better?
Of the 30% of diamonds that are gem quality and suitable for jewelry, Canada is one of the top three diamond producing countries in the world on the basis of carats produced. … Canadian diamonds are highly regarded because Canadian diamond mines have some of the world’s highest environmental standards.
What are 80% of all mined diamonds used for?
While most people associate diamonds with diamond jewellery, around 80% of mined diamonds are used for the industrial purposes of cutting, drilling, grinding and polishing.